The Akuapem North Municipal was established in 1988 by Legistrative Instrument (LI) 1430. Until then, it was part of the erstwhile Akuapem District Council which was established in 1975.The Municipality forms part of the twenty six (26) municipal and Districts in the Eastern Region of Ghana.
Akropong is the Municipal’s Administrative Capital. The Municipality shares boundaries with Akuapim South District to the south, to the north with Yilo Krobo Municipal, to the east with Dangme West and to the west with New Juaben Municipal.
The population of the district according to 2010 population and housing census stands at 136,483 with 64,028 males and72,455 females.