The Jirapa District established by LI 1902 was carved out of the then Jirapa-Lambussie District as part of a further enlarging and deepening of Ghana’s decentralization processes in 2007. The District is located in the north western corner of the Upper West Region of Ghana and one of eight districts in the region. It lies approximately between latitudes 10.25o and 11.00o North and longitudes 20.25o and 20.40o West with a territorial size of 1,188.6 square kilometers representing 6.4 percent of the regional landmass.
With Jirapa as the Capital, the District is bordered to the south by the Nadowli-Kaleo District, to the north by the Lambussie-Karni district, to the West by Lawra District and to the east by the Sissala West District. The district capital, Jirapa, is 62 km away from Wa, the Regional capital. Its location presents a special development advantage for the district.
- District Sublinks
- Other Links
- Other Officers