Agriculture is the mainstay of the Ho West District economy. It employs about 74 percent of thelabour force. Farming in the District is largely carried out on small-scale basis.

The average acreage cultivated ranges between 4-6 acres for all crops. There are vast arable lands for commercial farming across the district. Major crops cultivated includes; maize, rice, cassava, and beans.

Cash crop such as cocoa and palm plantation is gaining ground steadily in the district. Farmer groups are also into bee-keeping, snail farming, grass cuter rearing, which enhances their incomes.Out of total households of 23,875 in the District,   17,559 representing (73.5%) are engaged in agriculture in one form of agriculture or the other.

This implies that only (26.5%) of households are not engaged in agriculture activities. It is also evident that out of the (73.5%) of households engaged in agriculture, (88.7%) are found in the rural localities whiles the remaining (11.3%) are in urban localities.(2010 Population and Housing, Ghana Statistical Service)

Food Security

The District is one of the net exporters of cassava produce to other Regions and Districts. Other produce such as maize, rice and yam are also produce and exported out of the district. The District hardly imports such produce from other regions and district.

Prices of these commodities are relatively lower, that is why most district and regions imports these commodities from the District. Expenditure on these produce are hence affordable for the people in the district making cost of living comparatively low for the residents.

This implies that residents are able to save some money for other developmental activities. The District however import produce such as fish and meat from other district and regions.

Investors could take advantage to invest in these supply value chain to help create job and wealth in the local economy. 



Date Created : 11/20/2017 6:47:54 AM