The Jirapa District established by LI 1902 was carved out of the then Jirapa-Lambussie District in 2007 as part of Ghana’s decentralization process.
The Jirapa district is located in the North Western corner of the Upper West Region of Ghana. It lies approximately between latitudes 10.25o and 11.00o North and longitudes 20.25o and 20.40o West. Its covers a total land area of 833.8 sq. km. It extends from Lambussie in the North to Dapuori in the South.