Special Programmes For The Vulnerable And Excluded
The district focus on this thematic area is to improve the wellbeing of the disadvantaged and integrate them into the mainstream of development. To do this, some policy measures and strategies were identified under the Medium Term Development Plan for the period 2002- 2005. Despite the district’s recognition of the unfavourable condition and the social injustice suffered by the vulnerable and excluded in our part of the world, not much had been achieved in creating an enabling environment to better their living condition.
This notwithstanding, some social protection programme were implemented to help the most destitute realised their potentials. Among the activities carried out included the sensitization of twenty communities in community based rehabilitation concept, capacity building of ten people with disability (PWD) and support to persons with disability through the supply of 100 wheelchairs by some Civil Society Organisations. During the period the District Assembly through the DACF created a fund to support the PWDs including the inmates of orphanage with the Department of Social Welfare providing the technical support.
- Emerging incidence of street children
- Need for skill development programme for the vulnerable
- Little attention to the vulnerable in terms of budgetary allocation
Admittedly, there was some failure with regard to deepening decentralisation at the sub district level. This was as a result of poor funding of the Area/Town Councils and the non-functioning of the Unit Committees. The inability to operationalise the Area Councils and Unit Committees puts considerable pressure on the staff of the District Assembly in the effective monitoring of projects.
- Promotion of public forum to discuss issues of governance in relation to accountability was weak.
- Weakness in the performance of the nit Committees and Area Councils.
- Weak inter sectoral collaboration.
- Lesson Learnt
- Promotion of civic education necessary for sustaining development and building of trust.
- Scaling up of exhibition of development project at notice boards at Area Council Level necessary to enhance accountability.
The implementation of the 2002 - 2005 MTDP had generated useful lessons that need to be in cooperated into the 2006 - 2009 Plan.