National Health Insurance Scheme
1. The NHIS was established on 19th April, 2004. By mid 2006, a total number of 21,742 people have been registered. Total premium contributed stood at ¢432,000,000, while total claims of ¢195,380,482.00 have been settled.
2. Projection For 2006/2009
The scheme projects to register 75,000 (71%) people by 2009. The scheme anticipates a corresponding rise in claims to five billion (5b) within the same period.
3. Problems / Constraints:
In carrying out the aims and objectives of the NHIS (EADA) effectively, the scheme is seen to be beset of a lot of problems or challenges and amongst them is identified below:
- Lack of vehicle to aid sensitize and monitor the activities / facilities of the scheme.
- Inadequate personnel to assist in MIS and the claims department.
- Single parenting and High dependency ratio.
- Inadequate funds for monitoring.
- The abuse of the health facilities by the client.
4. Staff Strength.
The scheme has a total number of 10 workers. Out of these, 5 constitute the core management team, 3 are data entry clerks, while are 2 for security. Nevertheless, the staffing gap could be filled by at least 7 more. MHIS annual report.
The East Akim Mutual Health Insurance Scheme (MHIS) has taken off in full gear. Like most of the other schemes being run in various metropolitan, municipal and district assemblies, the response to the scheme is mixed but managers of it have some impressive report for the public.
Read the full annual report of the East Akim MHIS in pdf version below.