Before 1988, the district was part of then Gomoa-Awutu-Effutu Senya District Council. The AES District Assembly was carved out of the District Council with the establishment PNDC Law 207 of 1988, which redemarcaed the country into 10 districts from 65 District was established in 1988 by LI 1376.
The AES District is one of the 138 administrative districts in Ghana, and 13 districts in the Central Region. The district has three paramounties namely Awutu, Effutu and Senya with the paramount seats located at Awutu, Winneba and Senya respectively. It is made up of two constituencies 42 electoral areas, and 118 polling stations. The people of the district are mainly Guans.
The Effutu Municipal Assembly was carved from the then Awutu-Effutu-Senya District Assembly, and was established by L.I 1860. it covers a total land area of 95 square kilometers. It is sandwiched by Gomoa East District Assembly on its Western, Northern and Eastern flanks. On the Southern flank is the Gulf of Guinea. The administration capital is Winneba, a town renowned for its several specialized major institutions of higher learning that it contains.
The Effutu Municipality is one of the 216 administrative districts in Ghana, and 20 districts in the Central Region. The district has one paramountcy namely Effutu with the paramount seat located at Winneba. The people of the district are mainly Guans.
Winneba The District Capital
Winneba which is the district capital is about 66 km west of Accra, Ghana’s capital, on the Accra – Takoradi road. Medium sized and traditionally known as Simpa, Winneba is the principal town of the Effutu State founded around 1530 AD. According to history, the name Winneba originated from sailors who plied along the Atlantic Coast and who were often aided along the bay by a favourable wind. From their constant use of the words “windy bay” the name Winneba was coined.
The indigenous dialect of Winneba is Effutu but Fante is also widely spoken. As a coastal town the principal occupation of the people is fishing. In the colonial day, Winneba was the second seat of administration in the Central Province of the Gold Coast, as Ghana was then called. It was also salubrious weather the colonial government made it a convalescent place for its European civil servants.
During the early post independence days Winneba was particularly famous for the ideological institute which was established by Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah and which became the “Mecca” for freedom fighters from all over Africa. To civil servants, ambassadors, and other public functionaries took short orientation courses at the institute.
Winneba has a proud history, culture and fascinating environment. A former commercial hub the town’s historic warehouses and other colonial architecture projecting against the long clean, white, breezy beaches provide a serene and congenial atmosphere for all manner of businesses.