The Main Economic Activities
The main economic activities in the district are agriculture, commerce, service, manufacturing and processing in that order. Agriculture is the leading economic activity as expected in a rural economy. It is followed by commerce. The contribution of the manufacturing and processing is marginal and such activities are usually organized on small scale basis.Agriculture
Agriculture constitutes the main economic activity of the district economy. It employs about 58% of the district population. The farming population is 99,116, including fishermen. Agricultural production in the district is on two levels: the subsistence level involves 70% of the farming population while the commercial level involves the remaining 30%. The three main sectors of agricultural production comprise crop and animal production and fishing.Crop Production
Crop Production is the major economic activity in the district employing about 80,000 people constituting about 50% of the total population in the district. ;major crops under cultivation are pineapple, cassava, yam, maize and vegetables. The production of these major crops is concentrated in the Awutu sub-district.
The major problems facing farmers are:
- Difficulty in accessing credit.
- Non-availability of improved seeds.
- High cost of inputs.
- Inadequate agric technical staff
Fish production is mainly from marine source. There is little data on fresh water fish production. There are, however, 13 fish ponds in the district occupying an area of 32,263.6 acres. The main types of fish produced are tilapia and mudfish. The total tonnage from marine fishing for the year 2000 is 15,930.81 metric tons. The system of fishing is mainly by motorized canoe, which engages about 6,000 fishermen. The major fishing communities are Winneba and Senya and the main fish catches are herrings, shrimps, tuna, lobster and octopus.
The major problems facing the fishing sector are:
Technical Support Service To Agriculture
- Destruction of nets by foreign trawlers and strong ocean currents.
- High prices of inputs.
- Inadequate storage facilities.
- Poor landing sites with respect to fluctuation in tides and rocky beaches at Senya
Effective support services are provided to farmers directly by the MOFA staff in the district. The staff, totaling 25 members, consists of one District Director, for District Development Officers and twenty Agricultural extension Agents. With this strength, the AEA-farmer ration is 1:4,950 as compared to the national figure of 1:2,000.
The district ratio is very low and a slot of strain is put on the Extension Agents. To ameliorate his problem all Extension staff should be provided with motor-bikes to facilitate their mobility. A healthy four weeled pickup is also needed to assist in supervisory duties.Commerce And Market Infrastructure
Commercial activities in AES District are tied to domestic markets in Accra, Agona Sweduro, Oda, Mankesim, Techiman, Adeisu, Kumasi, Bolgatanga, and across the borders to Togo, Cote D’ivoire and Nigeria. The main commodities offered for exchange include fish, maize, gari, cassava, pepper, yam, chicken, chicks, eggs, pineapple, vegetable, and livestock. Other traders from the district travel far and near to bring in products like legumes maize and bush meat.
People involved in the trade and commerce are fishermen, fishmongers, farmers, middlemen and other private individuals. Market infrastructure such as physical structure, space, stores, stalls, storage shed, deliver bays and access roads are important for the development of district economy. The seven market centers in the AES District are located in Kasoa, Bawjiase, Winneba, Winneba Junction, Senya Bereku, Awutu Bereku and Bontrase.Kasoa Market
The District Assembly with the support of the then Agricultural Sector Improvement Project (ASIP) and the Village Infrastructural Project (VIP) has constructed a modern market complex with 2500 stalls, over 500 stores, facilities for Banking Services, large vehicle terminal. This facility is to forestall the situation where people use to sell along the streets causing long traffic jam on the Accra – Takoradi trunk road which connects Ghana’s immediate Eastern and Western borders (Togo and laCote d’ivoire).Manufacturing And Processing
The Awutu-Effutu-Senya District has non-farm economic activities involving manufacturing processing, quarrying and mining. The details of agro-and non-agro processing involving the names of processors, manufacturers, their products and locations are presented in Table 1.9 and 1.10. there are also small-scale wood processors in Kasoa, Bawjiase and Senya.
The main problems of the manufacturing and processing sector include:
- Inadequate data on employment levels in the district.B. Difficulty in accessing funds
- Inadequate technical expertise and relevant technologies.
- Lack of buoyant market to support the sector
- Inadequate infrastructure support