The Atebubu-Amantin Municipal is one of the 22 districts in the Brong-Ahafo Region of Ghana; the district was known as the Atebubu District until the year 2004 when the Pru Municipal was carved out of it. The following represent key geo-physical features of the Municipal: The Municipal covers a land area of 1996km2 with an estimated population of 65,253 as at the year 2000. This has been projected to be 82,109 in 2009. The Municipal’s population is currently growing at 3% which is higher than the national rate of 2.6%. The population is dominated by males (51.7%). This could be partly attributed to the continuous influx of mostly maize settler farmers from Northern Ghana into the Municipality. They constitute about 55% of the district’s population.
The Municipality has a large labour force constituting 55.8% of the population. Though the dependent population is quite high (44.2%), their effect on the active population could be lower since most of those in the senile age group could still be engaged in one or other form of the agricultural production. There are two Traditional Paramount Chiefs in the Municipality ruling from Atebubu and Amantin. These Paramount Chiefs however collaborate in the implementation of most development projects.
The voltain rock formation which underlies the municipality has underground water resources. Consequently, this has affected the underground water exploitation the municipality and so, most boreholes get dried up in the dry season.
- 66 the river beds and along their banks. The fertile nature of alluvial soils is a great potential for increases food production in the municipality.
- The municipality falls within the interior wooded savanna or tree savanna. It is believed that the transitional zone was once forested and that the savanna conditions currently prevailing have been the result of human activities.
- Soils in the municipality range from fine sandy loams to clayey loams, and are mostly poorly drained. Crops that can potentially be supported by these soils include rice, vegetables, yams, cassava, maize, sorghum, groundnuts, soya beans, cowpeas and tobacco.
- Out of the total of 820km road network in the municipality, only 280km representing 34.1% of the network is in good condition with the rest in fair and bad condition. Currently, about 90% of the cost of roads constructed and rehabilitated in the municipality is funded by DFID, with the Government of Ghana providing the remaining 10%.