The Akwapim North Municipal was established in 1988 by Legistrative Instrument (LI) 1430. Until then, it was part of the erstwhile Akuapem District Council which was established in 1975.The Municipality forms part of the twenty six (26) municipal and Districts in the Eastern Region of Ghana. Akropong is the Municipal’s Administrative Capital. The Municipality shares boundaries with Akuiapim South District to the south, to the north with Yilo Krobo Municipal , to the east with Dangme West and to the west with New Juaben Municipal.
The Akuapem North Municipal Assembly has presented 200 bags of cement and 3 packets of roofing sheets worth twenty thousand, eight hundred Ghana cedis to the Municipal office of NADMO for onward distribution to victims of flood and rain storm in the Municipality.
The Akuapem North Municipal Assembly has donated a 412 KVA emergency power plant worth three hundred thousand Ghana cedis (GHC 300,000) to the Tetteh Quarshie Memorial Hospital at Mampong in the Eastern Region.